Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Hardship of Living in the Mountains



I never used to think that where I grew up was flat. To the northeast, you could sometimes see the shadows of the Laurentian Mountains and could get to a ski hill in an hour (although the better ones were closer to 2 hours away). Across the St. Lawerance River stretched the outline of the Adirondacks. When I was in university, I lived on top of the Niagara Escarpment. More locally to my hometown, we had rolling hills.

When I go home now, it is so flat. Nestled in the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains, this area drives home that I really didn't know what rolling hills were. I love fall, and now that it is getting cooler, the leaves are slowly starting to change. We had a fairly dry September, so the colours will be muted, but still, the colourful quilt of autumn is taking over the hills.

Here's a pic I took last October driving down Unaka Mountain on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina (not too far from here).

3 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

You need to come to Salt Lake City dear to see REAL MOUNTAINS! Ours are pretty dang high!

Beautiful pic. Looks like Utah to me! I LOVE when the colors change on the trees. My favorite time of the year!

Yes we must have like minds...You are Aries like me, In the Mountains, a Rachel and Mikey Fan and quick to organize a list of fantastic people...ALL LIKE ME!! Oh pat yourself on the back now dearie! LOL OK we are also about the same age so there you have it...You are totally Brilliant!!

(LIKE ME! jk)

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Janey said...

We're actually planning a trip to the Rockies sometime next year - although right now in conjunction with an Alaskan cruise, so it will probably be the mountains north of you in British Columbia. I'm dying to see Rockies - ours are old and worn down.

I also dance - does 6 weeks of ballroom count?

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Honey Ballroom is my new love. It is so different than Ballet! I am constantly being told NOT to be a ballerina.

It is a challenge!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home