Sunday, January 07, 2007

Miserable

Ugh ... what a great holiday it has been. I am still sick. I had almost cleared up all my illness (save for a little coughing) right after Christmas, when I came down with another cold, which has since turned into a worse version of walking pneumonia. I started on the antibiotics again on Wednesday, took Wednesday and Thursday off work, attempted work Friday and ended up on the doctor's again by noon Friday. This time the coughing has been much worse - coughing to the point of throwing up (because I knew you wanted to know that). The nurse practitioner was very concerned and told me that if I didn't get any better, or worse, got worse, this weekend I was to go to the OB floor at the hospital (ER doesn't really care about the baby until you are at least 20 weeks along), do not pass go, do not collect $200. She gave me a killer prescription cough syrup and a puffer - the risk to the baby is much less than me being so sick. Shannon's been afraid that I was going to cough the baby loose - I'm just afraid that s/he will be born with an extra arm or something.

Today I am doing better. Still have a nasty cough, but not nearly as frequent as it was. The cough syrup has also been helping me sleep, which was something I was heavily lacking before. The silver lining? When I went to the doctor's on Wednesday, they decided to see if they could hear the heartbeat. You usually can find it between 8 and 12 weeks and the nurse said not to be alarmed if we couldn't find it since I was only 9 weeks. It took several minutes, but there it was! Once again, the big goofy grin came on my face. On Friday, Baby wasn't coorporating and we only found the heartbeat for a second, but at least we heard it - reassuring in light of all this sickness and medication!

Pregnancy tip: I have found the magic elixer (for me) for morning sickness - REAL gingerale. The stuff in the grocery stores are just flavoured. If you go to a health food store and get gingerale made with real ginger, it is a miracle worker (at least for me). A bottle of that after I get up and I'm fine for the day (provided I eat enough during the day).

3 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger Janey said...

Actually, I've been lucky since starting this real ginger ale. If I can just get rid of this pneumonia I will be all set! Thanks for the tips though!

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Mary Beth said...

I had one of those coughing fits yesterday at work...had to run to the bathroom fearing I would throw up, but didn't (thankfully). I have no idea where it came from (dripping sinuses, no doubt).

That's very cool about the heartbeat! Too bad you can't audio tape it and post it to the blog. :) I hope you're feeling better soon!

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Janey said...

Mar - it probaby is your sinuses - that's what contributed to mine since I had constant drainage (I know, TMI).

Next time I go to the OB (beginning of Feb), Shannon's coming with me (since he's disappointed at not getting to hear the heartbeat yet) and we'll try to record it. Otherwise, I'm toying with getting my own doppler - they are kind of expensive, but their resale value is almost what they are new, so I wouldn't lose much when I resold it afterwards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home