Sunday, March 19, 2006

Nitpicks

I'm online a fair bit. Some here, some on forums and some on chat. First, I'd like to say that most of my blogging friends type responsibly correctly or better. So this rant is not directed at you.

Let's start with the one that drives me nuts on a daily basis: LOSE. You LOSE weight, people, not LOOSE. Typos happen, but when you repeatedly mix those two up, you kind of come across as uneducated.

YOUR, YOU'RE, UR. I can forgive the last one in text messages. I can even forgive it on a fast paced chat when you are (or you're) speaking to several people at once. Please, don't use it on message boards when you do have time to properly spell it out. It just really annoys a lot (alot? allot? I'm not going to get into this one - it's the most minor nit) of us. Again, if you mix up "your" and "you're" once in a while, mix-ups happen. If you repeatedly use it, please take a refresher course.

THEIR, THEY'RE, THERE. Not going to repeat the occasional slip-up, but again, all the time?

Anyways, the "loose" / "lose" one is what drove me to madness this morning. Yes, I'm a little anal. Sadly, when I took a business writing class a couple of weeks ago, several of my coworkers really didn't know proper grammar either. Is it a regional thing? A country thing? I'd think that it may be due to the fact that I used to devour books when I was younger, but one of the worst in the class reads a great deal. At least I am comforted in that their emails never bug me as some of the boards I read.

Alright, commence picking through this post for all my errors!

6 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, Blogger Mary Beth said...

"A lot" is the one that bugs Mom the most.

I think the spelling thing is a lack of good grammar and spelling lessons in school. I attribute my good grammar/spelling to having those spelling books in elementary school (they had units, one for each week, with different words, all the way from Grade 1-8, and we had loads of spelling tests) and, of course, having an English teacher for a mother always correcting me. You can't go wrong there!

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Janey said...

People seem to cling to the excuse "this isn't real life". i really hate when people think that they can be sloppy and not punctuate or use capitals (or only capitals) and say that there normally better with the way the type i guess ur a dieing breed to know how to spell good

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.grammartips.homestead.com/anyway.html

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Janey said...

I stand corrected ... thanks, anon!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger A couple of newer paintings 2019 said...

Ever notice how many people leave the "r" off your in a sentence. The sentence comes out like this: Don't forget to take you workout clothes with you today. That drives me nuts! Watch for it, it happens all the time. I've even seen it in professional brochures!

Sandra

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Dale said...

Dear Janey

I, too, am a stickler for proper spelling & grammar. When I comment I do my best to do it correctly. I do make the odd typo, tho...

The reason I do it this way, is to hone my writing skills. I love creative writing & the only way to practice is to do it properly when I get the chance.

I have found that blogging has allowed my creative side to come forth. Having 3 kids, a husband, a household & working full-time leaves me with little time for my writing & sketching.

I'm with you on this one!

Love
Dale

 

Post a Comment

<< Home