Wednesday, January 18, 2006

That Thing on Your Head

It's amazing how we can all speak the same language, but not necessarily understand what is being said. I'm not talking about the kind of language barrier where you can't get your point across either because you aren't explaining it right or the other person isn't understanding it the way you mean. I'm not talking about how you tell a child to do chores, or not touch, or ... and it is like you are speaking a completely different language.

I mean actual words - how various regions not only have their own accents (no one ever assumes my husband is a northerner!) but their own words for things. This thought partially hit me when reading comments on Rachel's blog. Some people had never heard of some of the turns of phrases used - I don't know if I knew exactly what she meant because we use them in Canada, or I just watch enough British comedy. There's also these differences within the North American continent.

More specifically, I am talking toques.

To me, the winter hat you wear on your head has always been, and will always be, a toque. Although derived from 16th century France, this is a part of Canadian identity.

Now, I understand that this word developed into our normal vocabulary because of the French influence in our country, being bilingual and all. Oh, and to the chickie that kept arguing that Canadians call them tookies ... NEVER heard of that. Doesn't mean that there aren't Canadians that do, but that is not mainstream.

When my husband came up for Christmas one year when I was still living at my parents, we planned to go to Ottawa to see the Parliament Hill all adorned in snow. Before we left, he told me he needed to get a tobaggon. I tried to point out that it was not that kind of hill (it's where the Parliament Buildings are) as he proceeded to tell me that it was to wear on his head. Dude ..... oh, you mean a toque? How can the word that we use for a wooden sled be the same as the knit hat he wanted?

A couple of years later, we went to visit a friend in Atlanta. She was from Ohio and her husband was from Georgia. As she prepared her baby for our walk, I asked what she called the item she was placing on young Allen's head. She gave me a funny look and replied very slowly "A ski hat". Neither she nor her husband had heard of toque or tobaggon (for the record, Atlanta is only 4 hours from where we live).

Since then, I have run into a woman from Maine that used toque and a guy from Iowa that used stocking cap.

But, to me, it will always be, and should always be, toque.

Unable to load a picture of me in my new toque, but here is my winter hat of choice at the moment:

Canadian Olympic Wear

It's the bottom row, middle picture in the collage. Not sure why I can find it in the catelogue.

10 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Mary Beth said...

Hey, that's a cute toque! Tookie?? Stocking hat? I should think not! I just love it when someone who isn't Canadian argues with a Canadian about something 'we all do up there' that we don't do.

Is it cold enough down there for you to get use out of your new Canadian Olympicwear??

I guess it's like any other words that are regional or Canada specific - like eavestroughs for gutters, Hydro for electricity, or the way we pronounce 'lieutenant' with an 'f' in it. Though I have heard it called a ski hat, to me it will always be a toque too. 'Toque' just sounds like home, doesn't it? :)

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Janey said...

I wore it to work today and wore it on Saturday. It was laughed at, but loved.

Hydro is the other one I get teased on a lot. I still call it hydro (and it is mostly hydroelectric here), but people get confused.

Sigh

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Hi Janey

It's toque all the way!

I'd love to toboggan on Parliament Hill.
LOL!

That reminds me, I've got to go pay the hydro bill...
BTW, have you ever heard of anyone paying the nuclear bill??

Love
Dale

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jane
Any one that puts on a tobaggon (french word for a slide) has a strange way of sliding down hills.eh!
I found the following in the Wikipeda dictionary

Tuque
: a knit winter hat that covers the head and ears (called a "ski hat", "watch cap", "stocking cap", or "beanie" in American English)


tuque or toque is a french word meaning a different type of hat
Thats my comment
love Dad

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your post searching for "toque". I too am a Canadian and have recently moved to North Carolina and had a hard time with the toque/toboggan thing! But another one that really cracks me up is calling a purse a "pocket book". I don't know if they do that in TN too but they do it here and it sure confused me the first time someone asked if that was my "pocketbook" and it was a large brown leather purse (which could almost be considered a BAG!). Anyway it is funny that we can speak the same language and not understand each other. I definitely miss Tim Horton's! :)

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Janey said...

Anon that is not my dad - how could I forget about pocketbook? Even after being here 4 years, I find that one weird. I have used it a couple of times, but really, who am I kiddding? It's a purse.

Hail Tim Horton's. I was home to Canada 7 days for Christmas and managed Tim's all but one day.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Mary Beth said...

Pocketbook - LOL! That's such a Gramma word - so old-fashioned. I haven't heard anyone use that in years!! Not up here anyway. Kind of like 'dungarees'
or 'slacks'... :)

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay - another good one, have you tried saying FOYER - the Canadian way "Foy-YAY"? I said this in front of a room full of people and got some very strange looks, as if I just launched into French (which I do not speak BTW).

The other funny thing that happened is going to a church pot-luck and we were told to bring a main dish item and 'soda or tea'. So I assumed they were trying to cover both hot and cold drinks and brought a box of assorted herbal tea. I brought it to the kitchen and almost got laughed out of there when they saw that, and lined it up beside the pitchers of ICED tea, which they all automatically mean when they say "tea", but to me, it's hot unless you specify "iced". Not so anymore. "Tea with your fried chicken and biscuits anyone?" :)

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Janey said...

And don't forget to specific if your tea is sweet or unsweet!

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might appreciate some of my "Southern Living" blog entries:

http://forsythfamily.com/blog/category/11.aspx

(it's a non-'blogger' account)

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home