Sunday, October 30, 2005

New Baby



Yesterday we welcomed our first child into our family - Kodiak (or "Kodie"), so named because he looks like a little bear.

To do some bonding, and to be a model wife (as I tell the guys at work I am), I went with Shannon to a gun show. I was more interested in a hunting dog at one of the booths then anything. Somehow, Shannon and I decided it was time to get a dog. Somehow, we talked ourselves to heading to PetSmart where local shelters bring dogs and cats for adoption. I still don't think we were serious at the time.

That's when we saw "Cadillac", whose sister had already been adopted earlier in the day. Poor little guy had been there all day, but he was still so sweet. How can you resist that little face? We almost did, but we couldn't walk away.

They say he is a 10 week old Jack Russel / Lab mix and I weighed him at 5.4 lbs last night.

He is very well-behaved. It was about an hour and a half between when we first saw him and when we got home and no messes. We played outside a while before going in. We've decided he is only going to be allowed downstairs (we're there in the family room the most anyways) and the bathroom is his room for now when we aren't there with him. The shower stall is quite posh with an absorbant pad, a sheet and a body pillow. We should/will get him a crate, but this is working for now. We shut him in the bathroom while we were upstairs having dinner and he cried for about 5 minutes before letting a frustrated sigh and settling down. After dinner, we headed to the store to find him a nice toy to sleep with, since this was his first time away from his sister. On our return, we were delighted that there was no mess in the bathroom and took him outside. He did leak when I picked him up, but his little bladder was quite full. He did all his business outside and then waited until we were outside again a while later to do it again.

As you can see, all the running around wore him and his daddy out. Kodie and I also slept for a while on the chair. When we put him to bed around midnight, we had a nature CD playing in there and he didn't make a sound until 7 this morning. Again, no mess in the bathroom.

Hopefuly this will continue!

Off to take him outside again since he just had his breakie about half an hour ago.

I have more pictures at My Other Blog

4 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger Dale said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Dear Janey

(Sorry, that was me above deleted. I just made too many boo-boos).

Kodiak is so sweet-looking!

Good for you to get your dog from a shelter! There are so many creatures out there in desperate need of good homes.
I know someone who paid a huge sum for a tiny lap dog - not even a purebred...
I am not passing judgement, but I do feel strongly about animal (or anything) suffering.

Enjoy your new "little bundle of joy"!

Love
Dale

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

He is darling!!! How sweet, and I love the pic of Shannon with him!

Happy Halloween babe!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Spinning Girl said...

that is the cutest little pupper.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home