Sunday, September 24, 2006

Tomato Plants from Hell

Yes, I have tomato plants that, if they had souls, would have already sold them to the devil. There's no other explanation. These things WILL NOT stop producing or even stop growing for that matter!

Let me back up....

In May, I needed to try my hand at vegetables. This year was to be a trial run, so I decided on tomatoes that I would grow in a pot on the back porch. We ended up getting 3 little plants of cherry tomatoes and 3 little plants of bell peppers.

When Dad and Mom came a week later, Dad said that there was no way the tomato plants would do well all together in that pot, that I needed to replant 2 of them. We decided they could go in the flower garden in back (as added greenery) and he, being the wonderful father he is, moved them.

Fast forward to July. The sticks that Shannon and I had initially used to tie the plants weren't big enough, so we drove a couple of bamboo poles into the ground. Even with a lot of twine, we still had to cut off some of the growingly monsterous tomato plant branches off. By the end of July, the plants (in the garden, not the pitiful one in the pot) were a good 4 feet high and even wider for those branches that had escaped the twine. The tomatoes started coming. At first, we'd pick 4 or 5 a day, then a dozen, until mid-August when we were picking upwards of 4 cups of cherry tomatoes a day - remember, from TWO plants. At the end of August, we went away for 8 days and the tomato plants went unpicked (our neighbours all had had their share). When we came back, it was a sea of red. Many tomatoes had ripened and fallen and many, many more were begging to be picked. I don't know if I have still caught up.

It is now the middle of September. The nights are quite cool. We aren't picking tomatoes as we once were. It is not that there isn't any. These plants won't stop producing!!! In fact, I noticed today that they are covered in flowers, meaning more tomatoes are on their way!

Dad, you are doing a whole garden for me next spring.

4 Comments:

At 9:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just remember, gardening is a learning experience! For example, I've learned that one tomato plant is enough.

I can so relate to your monster tomato plants. I live in Iowa, though; so mine have pretty much stopped producing. Isn't it amazing that those little tiny seedlings from the greenhouse can get so out of control!

Best of luck for next year.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Janey said...

One is definitely enough - or at least 1 cherry and 1 hot house. That way I'll have some variety!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Mary Beth said...

Holy crap - I've never even seen tomato plants 4 feet high. Your insides are going to turn to spaghetti sauce!!

Mom used to grow tomatoes...we'd get one, maybe 2 big ones we had to let ripen on the window sill. The rest would have bugs eating them, or never get ripe. But then, we didn't obviously have the demonic variety of plants like you have. :)

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Janey said...

Mary, these plants have almost completely pulled the bamboo poles out of the ground. I'm starting to think they are like Little Shop of Horror ....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home