Sunday, May 28, 2006

Tennessee

Things I've learned about Tennessee...

1. Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air.
2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in Tennessee.
3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in Tennessee plus a couple no one's seen before.
4. Squirrels will eat anything.
5. Unknown critters love to dig holes under tomato plants.
6. Raccoons will test your crop of melons and let you know when they are ripe.
7. If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.
8. Onced and twiced are words.
9. It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy.
10. Fire ants consider your flesh as a picnic.
11. People actually grow and eat okra.
12. Fixinto is one word.
13. There is no such thing as "lunch". There is only dinner and then there is supper.
14. Ice tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. They do like a little tea with their sugar!
15. Backards and forwards means "I know everything about you."
16. Jeet? is actually a phrase meaning "Did you eat?"
17. You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

More about Tennesseans....

You know you're from Tennessee if:
1. You measure distance in minutes.
2. You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
3. You use "fix" as a verb. Example: "I'm fixing to go to the store "
4. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.
5. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
6. You know what a "VOL" is.
7.You carry jumper cables in your car...for your OWN car.
8. You know what "cow tipping" is.
9. You only own four spices: salt, pepper, Tabasco and ketchup.
10. The local papers cover national and international news on one page but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.
11. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
12. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit "a little warm".
13. You know all four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, still Summer and Christmas.
14. You know whether another Tennessean is from east, west or middle Tennessee as soon as they open their mouth.
15. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time kn own as"goin' Wal-martin" or off to "Wally World".
16. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good pinto-bean weather.
17. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop...it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor. Example: "What kinda coke you want?"
18. Fried catfish is the other white meat.
19. You understand these jokes and forward them to your friends from Tennessee (and those who just wish they were).Not EVERYONE can be a Tennessean, it's an art form and a gift from God!

10 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Vallypee said...

This is great, Janey. A fun, jokey insight into the way it is to be in Tennessee.

I've got a similar thing about being South African. I'll see if I can hook it out.

Thanks for making me smile
Val

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Janey said...

I figured that I am now accepted by the local folk now that they forward me these kinds of things :)

I'll be interested in your South African one - I may have to forward it on to my (half) sister who is half Afrikaaner.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Mary Beth said...

*LOL* Hilarious! Is 'used ta could" a phrase? As in "I can't drive, but my brother used ta could."? *L*

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Janey said...

Mary, it is a very popular phrase ... to the point I've caught myself saying it *sigh*

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Mystical Me said...

Thank you so very much sweetheart!! Your comment made me smile & it really touched my heart. Again thank you!! Take care sweetheart!! Love always, MM XOXO

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Vallypee said...

Hi Janey
Here it is!
YOU ARE PROUDLY SOUTH AFRICAN WHEN...

1. You produce a R100 note instead of your driver's license when stopped
by a traffic officer.

2. You can do your monthly shopping on the pavement.

3. You have to hire a security guard whenever you park your car.

4. You can count the national soccer team's scores with no fingers.

5. To get free electricity you have to pay a connection fee of R750

6. Hijacking cars is a profession.

7. You can pay your tuition fees by holding up a sign at a traffic light

8. The petrol in your tank may be worth more than your car.

9. More people vote in a local reality TV show than in a local election.

10. People have the most wonderful names: Christmas, Goodwill, Pretty,
Wednesday, Blessing, Brilliant, Gift and Given.

11. Now-now can mean anything from a minute to a month!

12. You continue to wait after a traffic light has turned to green to make
way for taxis travelling in the opposite direction.

13. Travelling at 120 km/h you're the slowest vehicle on the highway.

14. You're genuinely and pleasantly surprised whenever you find your car
parked where you left it.

15. The last time you visited the coast you paid more in speeding fines and
toll fees than you did for the entire holiday.

16. You paint your cars registration on the roof.

17. Half your mail is guaranteed to reach its destination.

18. You have to take your own linen with you if you are admitted to a
government hospital.

19. You dial a toll free number and nobody answers.

20. You have to prove that you don't need a loan to get one.

21. Prisoners go on strike.

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger Metalchick said...

Hi Janey,
I've never been to Tennessee, but it sounds like an interesting place. I do plan on visiting it sometime later. My future plan is to travel all 50 states like my grandpa did.

Drop by my blog anytime.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Janey said...

MM: Hope all goes well with your testing! I'll keep you in my thoughts!

VP: That's great. I've forwarded that on to my sister. I've also learned that I shouldn't bother having a car if I ever get to S.A.

MC: Thanks for stopping by. Tennessee is a wonderful state - regardless of the stereotyping as a backwards state - that's just towards Memphis :) Here, on the other corner, is paradise.

 
At 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL that is hysterical!!!!! You always know how to crack me up girl!

I checked out your MSN spaces. I think you and me should see how many places we can hold a blog! LOL KIDDING!

XX-Molly

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Janey said...

BG - I think we need some more! Have a blogging empire!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home